Cancer is one of the most dangerous diseases which is fatal many times. Lung cancer has become common across the world and leads to the death of both men and women as per American Cancer Society. It is a misconception among people that only smokers are at risk of lung cancer.
But the fact is around 20% of people who suffer from lung cancer are a non-smoker. As per American Cancer Society, the air pollution, diesel exhaust, radon gas and second-hand smoke are potential cancer-causing agents which increase the risk of lung cancer.
The best way to cure lung cancer is to detect it at an early stage. The sooner you get diagnosed with cancer the quicker you will be able to recover from lung cancer. Here are some early symptoms and sign of lung cancer which you should not ignore.
- Frequent illness in terms of recurring flu, cold, pneumonia and bronchitis can be a result of the depressed immune system.
- Dr. Kelley conveyed that cancer has a bad effect on the lung tissues and bronchial tubes which lead to increase in illness related to respiratory system.
Unexplained weight loss
- Lung cancer takes a toll on your appetite and thus you might feel full quickly and lost the interest in food.
- Dr. Kelley suggests keeping a record of times when you don’t feel like eating anything.
- Apart from lung cancer, the lost appetite can be a result of food poisoning, gastrointestinal illness, food allergy or PMS in women.
- But if the reason behind lost appetite is unexplained than you should go for a full check-up to confirm if it is not due to lung cancer.
- Yes, it is true that painful and thickened fingertips are a typical sign of lung cancer.
- The lung tumor releases chemicals into your bloodstream which leads to spur bone and tissue growth at the tips of your finger and under the nails.
- Dr. Kelley suggested that you should immediately consult a doctor if you find swelling and thickening in the fingers.
- A dull ache in the area of shoulder, chest, abdomen or back can be due to pressure created by lung tumor.
- The chest pain is the most common symptom of one out of four patients who suffer from lung cancer as per Dr. Kelley.
- A persistent cough, coughing up blood, wheezing, husky voice and pain while swallowing is a indication of lung cancer.
- This is the common sign of lung cancer and proper check up with doctor’s consultation is most needed at this stage.
Shortness of breath
- This symptom is common among women which we might ignore as a side effect of aging process or inactivity.
- But shortness of breath is something you should not ignore at all.
- It can be a sign of adenocarcinoma which is a lung cancer common among women.
Weakness in the upper limbs
- Muscle cramps, loss of coordination and weakness in the upper limbs are signs of the paraneoplastic syndrome which is closely related to lung cancer.
- This occurs due to hormone-like secretion done by lung tumors in the body.
Breast growth in men
- This is most common sign among men which is actually less talked about.
- The breast enlargement among men around and under the nipple is due to lung cancer.
- It is also a symptom of the paraneoplastic syndrome which is a byproduct of lung cancer.
- Make sure that you do not ignore any of these symptoms of lung cancer and consult the doctor as soon as you observe any of these signs.