Avocados are undoubtedly ones of the healthiest and versatile fruits on Earth, and despite their powerful medicinal properties, they also offer a rich, delicious, and creamy taste.
Here are 10 of the health benefits of the daily consumption of one avocado:
1. Nutrient Rich
A single serving of avocados has over 20 vitamins and minerals and provides the following recommended daily values: 25% of vitamin C, 39% vitamin K, 30% folate, and 21% potassium.
2. Healthy Fats
Avocadoes are full of healthy fats which lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
3. Cholesterol Levels
Avocados contain healthy fats that maintain good cholesterol but lower the bad cholesterol levels.
4. Weight Loss
The consumption of half an avocado daily has been found to increase satiety and keep you full for up to 5 hours after the meal.
5. Absorption of Nutrients
The regular consumption of avocados helps the absorption of essential carotenoids in the body, such as lutein, lycopene, alpha-carotene, and beta-carotene.
6. Blood Pressure
The high potassium content manages blood pressure, eliminates excess sodium and eases the tension in the blood vessel walls.
7. Diabetes Prevention
Avocados regulate the insulin and blood glucose levels, so they are excellent in the case of diabetes.
8. Bone Health
Vitamin K helps the absorption of calcium in the body, which is essential for bone health, and avocados are rich in it.
9. Eye Health
Avocados contain two very important carotenoids, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which are essential for eye health and vision, so their consumption prevents blindness, eye damage, and eye dysfunction.
Avocados are abundant in vitamin B6, folate, vitamin C, and potassium, all of which are needed by the mother during pregnancy, and the growing baby.
You can add this superfood to your smoothies, crispy salads, desserts, sandwiches, dips, grilled chicken, and much more!
Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DMN, CNS gives some simple tips to boost your avocado intake:
- “First, make sure the avocado is ripe. The best way to tell is to squeeze the avocado, which should give a firm, but gentle, yield to pressure.
- Use it as a fat replacement in baking.
- Dice it as a nice topping for your soups or bone broth.
- Put it in the food processor to make dessert whips, puddings, smoothies, and countless other recipes.
- Mash or whip it until completely smooth for a baby’s first food instead of processed food in a Gerber jar.
- Put it on top of a salad.
- Use it in making homemade guacamole.”
Enjoy its taste and reap all its health benefits.